http://robertinventor.com
October 18, 2017, 08:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Forum for Tune Smithy, Bounce Metronome and other software from Robert Inventor
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: Lambdoma Madness  (Read 4159 times)
estrauss

« on: June 20, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »

Hi Robert,
I'm trying to use the Lambdoma diamond screen keyboard to play chords on some different VST synths. My problem seems to be that FTS is sending out all manner of midi control signals and crashes the plugins.  I've not had many problems with sound font players but these plugins: Neumixturtrautonium and Modelonia literally explode.  My ears are suffering!  I know I'm probably in over my head here but is there an easy way to turn off all of the special midi stuff and just output notes?  I've tried numerous settings but get lost in all those screens.  I'm thinking it must be the tunings but I'm up for any suggestions.
Thanks,
Eric

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=70.msg195#msg195
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:14:47 AM by Robert Walker » Logged
Robert Walker
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »

Hi Eric,

I can think of a couple of things right off which might perhaps be the cause. So you can try them first.

RESET ALL CONTROLLERS

This might be the Reset All Controllers (121) in the Midi Out Resets (Ctrl + 80). I remember someone else had a problem with that message in the past.

So, if you just uncheck that you may find it is okay.

UNDEFINED RPN FOR NOTE CIRCULATION PROTECTION

Then another thing you can switch off is the rapid notes circle protection in More Midi In Options (2) - For rarer occasions (Ctrl + 207). This sends an undefined rpn controller message through midi out and then checks to see if it receives it via midi in, same method that's used by some virtual midi cables.

Anyway it's not really needed, just gives an extra layer of protection if you try to connect the midi out of FTS back to its midi in via other software.

MIDI PITCH BEND RANGE

If that isn't it, another thing to try (though unlikely to cause problems) is to switch off the option to set the pitch bend range - as the chances are that they use the standard pitch bend range of +-2 semitones. You can switch that off if you are sure that it has the right pitch bend range. Also some synths ignore that message so that you can only set the pitch bend range at the synth and not via midi.

You can switch off the pitch bend range messages in the Midi Out Resets (Ctrl + 80) window.

I would be very surprised if this is the cause of the crash though.

INSPECTING THE MIDI EVENTS SENT

If this still doesn't fix it, then you can take a look to see if FTS sends anything else that could cause issues.

To see what FTS sends exactly, then go to More Miid File Options (Ctrl + 107) and switch on "Record midi to file exactly as sent".

Then record to midi as you play via Record to Audio, Csound or Midi File (Ctrl + 11). After the crash, then in the More (twice) version of that window you can make a list of all the midi events in your recording to midi and then see if you can see any other events there that aren't really needed.

BTW be sure to switch off "Record midi to file exactly as sent" when finished, as you don't want to use that option for normal midi recordings.

ANOTHER WAY TO INSPECT THE MIDI STREAM

As an alternative, you can use MidiOx http://www.midiox.com/index.htm (I think that's the one as I haven't had to do this for a while - if it's the right one, then it shows a scrolling list of midi events as it receives them so you can see exactly what any program outputs via midi).

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!

Do let me know how it goes! If this doesn't fix it yet then I'll think it over some more and see if I can come up with anything else or some way of diagnosing it to find out the cause.

Thanks,

Robert

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=70.msg196#msg196
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:28:33 AM by Robert Walker » Logged
estrauss

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »

Hi Robert,

It took some time but I think I may have figured out my problem. I followed your suggestions but there were still crashes.  It appears that the "Channels for Parts" may be the culprit. Changing all the midi out channels to anything but the "1-16" (All for all) setting seems to do the trick.  I guess the plugins couldn't take that much traffic.

Thanks for your help.

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=70.msg197#msg197
Robert Walker
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:02:08 AM »

Hi Eric,

Glad to hear you have found a way around the plugin crashes.

I wonder why that would make a difference. Not that it probably matters much to you now that it is fixed.

Anyway,...

A FEW THOUGHTS IF YOU WANT TO INVESTIGATE IT FURTHER

Are you dropping any notes? If you are unsure (e.g. in very fast highly polyphonic fractal tune perhaps) you can check in the Notes in Play (Ctrl + 47) window, More version where you get messages showing if notes are dropped.

If you were retuning a very fast piece, or one that requires all 16 channels in play at once for the "pitch bend polyphony", I could understand that perhaps by adding pitch bend messages to the data stream, maybe you end up with so much data to process the plugins can't keep up and stop responding, so that's why I wondered if what happened might be that you drop a few notes and so reduce the amount of data it has to cope with by requiring all the notes played at once to fit into (say) 15 channels instead of 16..

Also - I wonder if it is the host or the plugin, does it happen for all plugins for the same host, and does using another VST host fix the bug?

WHAT ARE THE EXACT SYMPTOMS OF THE CRASH IN THE PLUGINS

Sorry, I forgot to ask what happens exactly - what do the plugins do when they crash and do you get any messages from them or what?

Do let me know if you find out anything more about this bug.

ANYWAY GLAD TO HEAR ITS WORKING FOR YOU NOW WHATEER THE REASON

Glad to hear you have a "workaround"!

Thanks,

Robert

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=70.msg198#msg198
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:11:32 AM by Robert Walker » Logged
Robert Walker
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »

Sorry I forgot, this is for the Lambdoma and just playing chords on the Lambdoma you wouldn't think it would be the sheer amount of data.

You could go over the channels limit and start dropping notes especially with some of the auto harmony features or playing chords using many notes from several rows at once. So could be worth checking if you drop any notes as a result of the channel reduction if you play highly polyphonic chords.

Robert

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=70.msg199#msg199
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: