http://robertinventor.com
December 11, 2017, 06:05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Forum for Tune Smithy, Bounce Metronome and other software from Robert Inventor
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Midi keyboard\Controller query  (Read 3656 times)
saladthief

« on: April 17, 2010, 02:58:46 AM »

Hi Robert

I am currently evaluating tune smithy and I can see that scales\arpeggios can be triggered by the bottom 16 notes and that the same can be done with regards to selecting the key of the scale. Is there any way of doing these actions together say the 1st octave of the keyboard selects the root note and the next octave selects the actual scale\arpeggio? 

Also would it be possible to transpose the octave using a controller such as a foot pedal? I've spent a bit with the program but I'm having trouble getting my head round the keyboard zoning aspects with regards to what can be achieved and what can't.

Thanks
Ian

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=57.msg130#msg130
Robert Walker
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The e-mail notification of new topics doesn't seem to be working although e-mail notification of replies to ones posts is working fine. I'll see if I can do anything about that, anyway so means I didn't get notification and it is over a week since I dropped in to look at the forum.

I am currently evaluating tune smithy and I can see that scales\arpeggios can be triggered by the bottom 16 notes and that the same can be done with regards to selecting the key of the scale. Is there any way of doing these actions together say the 1st octave of the keyboard selects the root note and the next octave selects the actual scale\arpeggio? 

I think that needs new programming. I'll look into it when working on FTS 3.2.

Also would it be possible to transpose the octave using a controller such as a foot pedal? I've spent a bit with the program but I'm having trouble getting my head round the keyboard zoning aspects with regards to what can be achieved and what can't.

Yes. One way to do it would be to set up each part with a different octave shift in the Parts window (Ctrl + 9). Then in Midi In Options (Ctrl + 25) choose the option to select part by controller in the Select Part by drop list. Choose the controller you want to use e.g. Volume pedal or whatever controller your foot pedal sends. Then that should do it.

It's a while since I did much work on FTS as I've been working on BM Pro for the last year or so almost exclusively - so all to do with rhythms and polyrhythms rather than microtonal and tunings.

So I don't think it can do what you want in your first question - but I'm a little rusty in some of the details of what it can do and what features I have programmed into it - especially if someone asks "Can it do x" rather than "how does x work". So if anyone here happens to know of a way to do it, do step in and say!

Otherwise, I'll add it to the beta. Surely do-able and main thing will be to find a way to do it without adding too much to the complexity of the interface.

Would you like to be notified when it has has this capability?

BTW if you need a second test drive be sure to say. Please don't feel you have to finish evaluating it within 30 days if it takes longer than that. I know there is a lot there and it can take a while to evaluate it. Especially of course if I add new features as a result of your questions or suggestions :-).

Thanks for your questions.
Robert

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=57.msg135#msg135
saladthief

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

Hello Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've not been able to do any music stuff in the past couple of weeks so I've not really had a chance to respond. With regards to my first query, I have managed to fashion a solution to my 1st problem using midi-ox which appears to work really well. However, any integrated solution you may have for future release though would be greatly appreciated as it would free up midi ox for other tasks.

With regard to the note transposition, I will try out your solution in my set up when I get a chance but I'm tied up doing other stuff for the next couple of weeks. From the way you have described it I'm not sure if your solution would suit what I need as I would probably need a global transposition tool just before the midi output, ideally that can be triggered by 2 foot controllers - 1 for up and another for down. This may be possible with my DAW though so I will investigate that avenue if I get no joy with your suggestion (I've also done something similar using Pure Data previously so will look at that too).

Thanks as well for the offer for giving me another test drive. I will give you an email when I'm free again - I still have plenty to explore!

While I'm here I would like to see if any other implementations are possible. As I have said, I now have a set up using midi ox where the key can be selected by the bottom octave and the arpeggio selected by the following 16 notes. This would output to my DAW on a particular midi yoke channel. This works fine for me but I would like to collaborate with somebody else either using another midi keyboard where the other person has the same set up as me, so we could play different parts while changing arpeggio and key independently. I have not had time to try this but could this be as simple as opening up another instance of FTS? Does your program allow for opening multiple instances which individually recognise different midi inputs like what can be achieved using midi ox? 

All the best
Ian

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=57.msg150#msg150
Robert Walker
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »

Hi Ian,

Glad you have found a solution for your first question with Midi Ox. I'm still working on Bounce Metronome Pro mainly at present and have another couple of projects to do before I can get back to work on FTS 3.2. so can look into integrated solutions then whenever that is.

Meanwhile I can answer your last question. Yes you can start multiple instances of FTS simultaneously and set each one to a different configuration for the Midi In devices.

EASIEST WAY TO DO IT - SAVE EACH INSTANCE'S SETTINGS AS A PROJECT

If you do that, then you may want to save a separate project for each configuration in order to keep the settings separate from each other. Then start FTS up by opening the project files. E.g. you could save the project files to your desktop - then to start up FTS just double click on the project for each instance.

That way you can start up each instance of FTS with a single click - and as the settings are saved to the project if you make any changes - then the settings such as choice of Midi In device will be maintained independently of each other.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU START UP BOTH INSTANCES FROM THE DESKTOP SHORTCUT

If you just use the desktop shortcut (say) to start up FTS then after you close both instances, next time you start up FTS again, it will use the settings from the last closed instance.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD

There's also an option to make a shortcut to start with the current settings, for that see "Desktop shortcut (Ctrl + 148)". Works in much the same way except that instead of saving the settings to a project fiile, it saves to a couple of .ini type files - it's the older version of this feature, which I kept in place just in case someone finds this method more convenient for some reason.

Robert

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=57.msg151#msg151
saladthief

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »

Thanks Robert, that's really good news. Look forward to giving it a go! Can't wait to try out the rest of the features too!

Thanks again
Ian

Linkback: http://robertinventor.com/smf/index.php?topic=57.msg152#msg152
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: